On this page
Royal Bank of Scotland mortgages are available to over 18s. Your home or property may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
Before you apply for a mortgage
How much could you borrow?
- Our easy to use mortgage calculator will tell you how much you could borrow and what your repayments could be in less than 5 minutes
Takes less than 5 minutes.
Gives you an initial idea of house prices to start looking at.
Doesn't use your personal details.
- What about other costs? Our guide to fees and other unexpected costs will make sure you avoid any nasty surprises
Check your credit score
- Understanding your credit score could help you avoid potential issues. You can check your score for free on our Mobile Banking App
Credit score available once opted in through the app, to customers aged 18+, with a UK address and is provided by TransUnion. App available to customers aged 11+ with a compatible iOS and Android devices and a UK or international mobile number in specific countries.
- Are you offer ready? Be ready to make an offer when your dream home comes along by arranging an online agreement in principle.
Remember to ask the estate agent to take the property off the market as soon as your offer has been accepted.
Choose how you want to apply
You can complete your mortgage application online, at your own pace and in the comfort of your own home.
You need to be:
confident that you have been able to choose the right mortgage for your circumstances
happy to take responsibility for the mortgage you choose
As you’ll not be getting any advice from us, you won’t benefit from us assessing whether the mortgage is suitable for you. Therefore if your choice turns out to be unsuitable we won’t offer you any compensation.
Already Started? Pick up where you left off
Apply over the phone
What you'll need when applying for your mortgage
- Have your identification and proof of income and outgoings ready in case we need to see them.
- If you're already a Royal Bank mortgage customer, you won't need to resubmit paperwork, such as evidence of income, unless your circumstances have changed.
- Find out more about our application process by checking out our guide for first-time buyers or customers who are moving home.
- Arrange a solicitor A solicitor will handle the property purchase for you. Friends and family may be able to help you choose. Make sure you find out how much it will cost.
- If you have chosen to apply over the phone, we’ll be in touch Your mortgage adviser will call you before your appointment to help make sure you’re prepared and explain how our paperless mortgage application works.
- If you are applying online, don't worry You will still need to make sure you have your information ready but, if you find out you're missing something, you can save your application and return to it when you have the details.
After you have applied
We may ask for additional information Please review, complete and return any required documents quickly. We’ll tell you how you can upload documents safely and securely.
Keep up to date Your solicitor should let you know how things are progressing – remember to follow up quickly on anything which may be outstanding. Ask your solicitor to set your completion date as early as possible to avoid a last minute rush.
Are you ready to move? Make sure you arrange any third party services you need to help you move early, such as a removal firm, cleaners, utility, television and broadband suppliers. Ask friends and family for recommendations and make sure you find out the costs involved - it’s a good idea to get more than one quote.