On this page
Credit score available once opted in through the app to customers aged 18+ with a UK address and is provided by TransUnion. App available to customers aged 11+ with a compatible iOS or Android device and a UK or international mobile number from specific countries.
Learn about credit scoring
What is a credit score?
How is it calculated?
Understanding credit decisions
If you’ve been turned down after applying to borrow money, there may be a few reasons why. For example, your credit score may be too low or your income and outgoings may make paying back any lending difficult.
For more information on our credit decisions, how to make an appeal and useful resources that can help you to review your financial circumstances visit our credit decisions page.
What affects my credit score?
Lots of things impact your score and it's not just financial things either.
- how much money you owe lenders
- any missed or late payments
- defaulting or breaking the terms of credit agreements
- going over your credit limit
- how often you withdraw cash using your credit card
- applying for credit too often in a short space of time.
Non financial things
- you’re on the electoral roll
- you move house a lot
- you’ve got a joint account with someone with a bad credit record
- there are any errors on your credit history file.
Want to explore your borrowing options?
If you’re looking to borrow money, we know it can be difficult deciding which type of borrowing best suits your needs. So, we’ve summarised the options for you to easily compare.
Credit score myths
Check my credit score
Check your score for free in mobile app
It could help you borrow money in the future
- See your live credit score and it will be updated every 30 days.
- Check how your score has changed since you last checked.
- View personalised tips on how to improve your score.
- Test how future changes could impact your score with Score Predictor.
Credit score provided by TransUnion and available once opted in to customers aged 18+ with a UK address. App available to customers aged 11+ with a compatible iOS and Android devices and a UK or international mobile number in specific countries.
Download the app
1. On your mobile or tablet, go to the App Store if using Apple or Google Play if using Android.
2. Search for 'Royal Bank of Scotland'.
3. Tap to download the app.