Life Moments

Caring for someone vulnerable

Caring for someone that needs additional help?

If you’re caring for someone, you’re not alone. More than 6.5 million people in the UK provide unpaid care by looking after someone who is ill, older or disabled.

Help if you're self-isolating

Vulnerable customers helpline

Call us to find out what additional services we can offer vulnerable customers who are self-isolating, such as having cash delivered at home or letting a friend or relative withdraw money at a cash machine. 

Call us on 0800 051 4177

Lines are open 8am-8pm every day

Banking from home

During this time we want to make it as easy as possible for you to manage and look after your money. Find out how we can help you with online and mobile banking, with helpful videos and step by step guides to get you started.

Giving a third party access to your bank accounts

Sometimes, you might need help to manage

your bank accounts.

If a Royal Bank of Scotland customer is mentally

capable, then a third-party mandate can be put

in place to allow another person access to their

bank accounts.

Information Message

A third-party mandate cannot be used in circumstances where a customer no longer has mental capacity.

A third party can

Close accounts and change the statement address of accounts they are named on.

Have a debit card, cheque book and a pay-in book.

Enrol for telephone or digital banking.

Arrange and cancel any payments on the account e.g. standing orders, direct debits, chaps payments.

Obtain any information relevant to an account they are named on.

Information Message

A third party cannot

Use any of the benefits on a packaged account.

Open accounts on behalf of a customer.

Upgrade/downgrade accounts including account conversions on behalf of a customer.

Apply for additional borrowing on existing accounts e.g. overdrafts, loans.

Reclaim funds from dormant accounts they were named on.

Information Message

Register a third party with us

Download and complete the form below, signed by you as the customer and the third party. You will both need to bring 2 forms of identification into one of our branches.

What is a Appointeeship?

An Appointeeship is an arrangement where you can apply for the right to manage an individual’s benefits due to them being incapable of doing so themselves. An Appointeeship may be the best course of action if the person has a low level of financial assets, is in receipt of benefits and doesn't have any other sources of income.

An appointee does not have the authority to deal with other income or finances belonging to the vulnerable person.

If you’ve been made an appointee and are looking to open an account with us to receive these benefits, please see our information on what you need to open a current account.

Once your account has been opened, you will need to visit your local branch with proof of your appointeeship. To find your local branch please use our branch locator.

For more information on appointeeships or if you’re looking to become an appointee, please visit mygov.scot.

How to register a Power of Attorney with us

Using our online form

You can submit our online form for Power of Attorney requests.

By visiting a branch

Complete the form below and visit a branch. You will need 2 forms of acceptable ID.

Download and complete the form below

Please download, complete and return the signed form in branch, along with two forms of acceptable identification.

Acceptable forms of identification

To register a Power of Attorney with us, you can apply online or visit any Royal Bank of Scotland branch at a time that is convenient for you. If the application is for one attorney you can apply online. If more than one attorney is being added, you'll need to visit a Royal Bank of Scotland branch and bring the Power of Attorney documents with you. You'll need one item to confirm your identity and another document that we can accept as proof of your address.

Frequently asked questions

Organisations that can offer support

Make the most of extra support available to help you care more effectively. The local authority of the person you care for may be able to help with this, you can find their details on the Gov.uk website. Other organisations will also be able to help.

Caring for someone vulnerable | Royal Bank of Scotland

A guide to social care

Information on Government services and allowances for carers

Information Message

Caring for someone vulnerable | Royal Bank of Scotland

Expert advice, information and support

Advice on paying for the cost of care and managing money

Information Message

Is there something else you're looking for?