Royal Bank of Scotland mortgages are available to over 18s. Your property may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
We aren't currently offering buy to let mortgages directly through Royal Bank of Scotland
We regularly review the mortgages we offer. Please check back at a later date, when we hope to be able to provide you with a buy to let mortgage.
Explore our mortgages today
Find out what we could offer you
- Our Agreement in Principle provides a personalised indication of how much you could borrow
- Will not impact your credit score
- Takes less than 10 minutes
Apply online in under 10 minutes
- Apply online today, or contact us if you'd like support
- Save progress and come back whenever you like
- Upload, submit and sign all of your documents online
What is a buy to let mortgage?
Buy to let (BTL) mortgages are for landlords who want to buy property to rent it out. Applying for a buy to let mortgage is a fairly similar process to a residential mortgage application. However, there are some important differences, particularly when considering how much you can afford and the size of your deposit.
If you need more support then our guide will help.
Choosing a buy to let mortgage
Eligibility and responsibilities
Find out if you're eligible
The following criteria applies for Royal Bank buy to let mortgage applications:
- You're a UK resident aged between 18 and 80
- Your expected rental income to be at least 125% of your monthly interest payments
- You have at least a 25% deposit, or 35% for any new build houses or flats
- The property is worth at least £50,000
- You're borrowing at least £25,000 over a minimum of 3 years
- Your total aggregated borrowing with Royal Bank will be less than £3.5 million
We will not consider multiple tenancies, Homes of Multiple Occupancy (HMO), bedsits, ‘Related Person’ tenancies, properties that fall under a selective licensing scheme or properties that will be used as a holiday home or holiday let.
You cannot apply for a buy to let mortgage with us if you do not meet the above criteria.
Understand your responsibilities as a landlord
There's lots of requirements that you need adhere to when renting out a property. These include contracts, deposit protection and certificates for the gas and electric.
Are you buying or remortgaging an energy efficient property with a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of A or B? If so, we're now offering new loan to value options and discounted 2 year and 5 year fixed rate green Buy to Let mortgages.
Royal Bank Green Mortgages are available to over 18s purchasing or remortgaging a property with a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of A or B. Available on selected products marked with 'Green Mortgage'. Exclusions and eligibility criteria applies. Product fees apply. Max LTV 75% (for new build flats or houses a maximum LTV of 65% applies).
Getting ready to apply
How it works
There's a few steps to take, depending on your circumstances.
We'll outline everything you need to do and consider when you take out a buy to let mortgage with us.