Life Moments

Moving in

Our tips for setting up your home

Our tips can help you set up your new home together, with information on everything from sharing costs to writing a will.

If you're looking to buy a property together, you can also find out about joint mortgages.

How to share costs

It’s a good idea to work out how you’ll split the bills before they start coming in. Look at all the bills you'll have to pay and decide how you'll split them.
Created with Sketch.

Work out your budget

Use our calculator to budget for your joint finances. Then you'll have a clear picture of your income and outgoings, and what's left at the end.
Created with Sketch.

Looking for a joint account?

A joint account can be a good way to combine your money to cover household bills.

The legal side of things

Living together

If you live together as an unmarried couple you have fewer rights that if you are married. You could get a Living Together Agreement to help protect you. This is like a prenuptial agreement and you could get legal advice when creating one.

Writing a will

This is the most important thing you can do. If you own your home together and one of you dies without a will, the other person might not automatically inherit the property. If you own it as ‘tenants in common’, it could pass to your closest blood relations.

Buying a property together

Talk about ownership

  • When you buy a property as an unmarried couple, or move into a home that one of you owns, it's important to talk about ownership to make sure you both have rights to the property
  • Our guide to joint mortgages covers the different types of ownership you could go for
  • Royal Bank of Scotland mortgages are available to over 18s.

Take a look at our mortgages

  • Take a look at our range of mortgages to see what could work for you
  • You can also use our tool to find out how much you could borrow
  • Royal Bank of Scotland mortgages are available to over 18s.

Think about home insurance

  • Depending on if you are buying a leasehold or freehold property, you may need both buildings and contents insurance when you move in together
  • You can take a look at our home insurance products to see what might work for you
  • Royal Bank of Scotland home insurance policies are underwritten by U K Insurance Limited.

Leaving a joint mortgage

If your circumstances change and you decide you want to leave a joint mortgage, the first thing to do is contact your lender to discuss the options available to you.

You can get more detail on the options available to you from the Money Advice Service.

Is there something else you're looking for?