On this page
A new Debit Mastercard is heading your way
We’re switching to Mastercard and all our customers will soon receive a shiny new replacement debit card. Nothing is changing with your account, and your card will work in just the same way.
Now and then we rethink our relationships to keep things fresh for you and us. We’ve decided to move to Mastercard as it allows us to offer a better overall service to our customers. We'll be launching the new cards this year and will let you know closer to the time when you can expect to receive yours through your letterbox.
Your old Visa card will stop working soon so take a look at how to get your new Debit Mastercard card up and running. We won't contact you to request any personal details, so any requests you get could be a scam. We've gathered some information below so you can help protect yourself from frauds and scams.
All the information you need about our change over to Mastercard is available on this page. If you have any other queries you can chat with Cora by clicking the 'Need Help?' icon on your screen. She can support you with a number of requests such as: ‘My card isn’t working’ , ‘I want to freeze/unfreeze my card’ or ‘I want to change my address’.
A brand new look
To mark our transition from Visa to Debit Mastercard, we’ve designed a new Royal Bank card that’s fresh, modern and vertical – the way we tend to hold our card. The new design means all the usual card info is now on the back.
Through stunning, stylish photography we wanted to evoke the excitement of the great outdoors. A little taste of escapism every time you take out your card.
These easy steps will help things go smoothly
1. It’s time to stop using your old Visa card so get your scissors to it and cut it up. Snip!
2. Pay once with your PIN or withdraw cash (don’t worry – it’s the same number as before). After this your new card should be ready to make contactless payments.
3. Make sure to check that your details are up-to-date on any websites that you use regularly, and don’t forget subscriptions or recurring payments. You’re not getting out of going to the gym that easily.
4. Add your card to your Apple Pay and Google Pay™ digital wallet. A great way to pay while you’re out and about. Retailer limits may apply. To use Apple Pay you must be 13 years of age or older. To use Google Pay™ you must be 16 years of age or older.
5. If you haven’t already, download our app. Its the easiest way to manage your money on the go. Our app is available to personal and business banking customers aged 11+ using compatible iOS and Android devices. You'll need a UK or international mobile number in specific countries.
6. Grab a pen and sign the back of your new Debit Mastercard. You're now good to go!
Remember to update your card details
Our top tip is to update your card details on any of your streaming services, like Amazon Prime and Netflix, as soon as you get your new Debit Mastercard.
It's not just subscriptions, check your phone plans and other services that could need updating too.
Can my card be used everywhere?
Your Debit Mastercard will be accepted almost anywhere that accepts card payments, either in store or online.
It's not just limited to the UK. Your Debit Mastercard is welcomed all over the world in all sorts of places. Use it in a tiny café in Paris or to book a scuba dive off the coast of Hawaii.
Remember that there could be some costs when shopping or withdrawing money while using your debit card abroad.
You can also use your contactless card abroad like you can in the UK. Just look for the contactless symbol. Limits can vary when you’re abroad.
Other frequently asked questions
Try our mobile app
Our app makes managing your money safe, easy and oh so speedy. You can check your balance or pay friends with just a couple of taps.
- You're now able to pay in your cheques anytime, anywhere.
- Use your face (and soon your voice) to keep your money even more secure.
- Our new app update even allows you to use the app in dark mode to save your battery life.
Our App is available to personal and business banking customers aged 11+ using compatible iOS and Android devices. You'll need a UK or international mobile number in specific countries.
Touch ID and Face ID available on selected Apple devices. Face/fingerprint unlock available on selected Android devices.
Add your card to Apple Pay or Google Pay™ digital wallet. Whether you're paying online or in-store you can make safe, quick, convenient payments without needing to carry cash.
- It's easy to pay online. There is no need to enter your card details again.
- When Apple Pay and Google Pay™ are not available online, they could still autofill your card details - you just need your 3-digit CVV code on the back of your card.
- You can make payments over the contactless limit in a shop without even needing a phone signal.
- Keep your account safe with your device's biometric authentication - Face ID, Touch ID or face/fingerprint unlock.
- Your payment information is encrypted and you get instant notifications when money comes out of your account.
Touch ID and Face ID available on selected Apple devices. Face/Fingerprint unlock available on selected Android devices.
... and it's better for the environment
New debit cards, made from 86% recycled materials, have been introduced across our Group saving around 190 tC02e in 2022 (tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent).
And that's not all, as we are aiming to make all our operations climate positive by 2025.
Visit our Climate Change Hub to learn more about our approach to climate change and how we could help you with sustainable choices.
Terms and Conditions
OK. That’s it about cards. We’re making some changes to your current account terms and conditions. You can see the full details in the PDF below.
Mastercard and Priceless are registered trademarks, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated. ©2021 Mastercard.