What you’ll need


You’ll need a secondary form of ID like your driving license or passport 

Your step-by-step guide:

In branch we can only assist you with your debit card, if you have a credit card then it’s best to order a replacement online.

  1. 01

    Go to the desk

  2. 02

    Report your card lost or damaged

  3. 03

    Makes sure you have a secondary form of ID (driving license or passport) so we can check it’s you