Help getting reunited with your money

Dormant Bank Accounts

Do you have money in a dormant account?

A bank account that hasn't been used in a long time can become dormant.  We class an account as dormant if it's not been used for more than 5 years. We will try our best to contact you before this happens.

Follow the steps below to reclaim your money if you think you have a dormant account with us. If you're not sure if you once had an account with us, visit us in branch and we can help you find out. 

How to reclaim your money

Fill out the Dormant Reclaim Form

Download and complete the Dormant Reclaim form.

You will need to send us a copy of your photographic ID and proof of address dated within the last 6 months. Please don't send us any original documents.

You will also need to visit a branch so that we can verify your ID and proof of address.

If the account is joint and requires more than one signature, we will need ID and proof of address from all signatories. 

Send it by email or post

Send us your completed form and proof of ID and proof of address either by email or post at the following addresses: 

Email: personaldormantteam@natwest.com


Dormant Account Reclaim Team

Floor 4

1 Spinningfields Square


M3 3AP

warning Message

See below for the types of ID and proof of address that we accept

If you are unsure, visit us in branch

Not sure if you have money in a dormant account with Royal Bank of Scotland? Visit your nearest branch where our staff can help you reclaim your money.

To locate any funds, it will help us if you bring

  • Your account details, for example a copy of a statement or a passbook
  • Identification, such as your current valid passport or UK driving licence
  • Proof of your current residential address, such as a bank statement or utility bill dated within the last 6 months

Based overseas?

If you live outside the UK, you can download and send us a copy of the Dormant Reclaim Form by email or post, along with your photographic ID and proof of address.

Alternatively, you can send us a signed letter of authority to help claim any money. In your letter please provide as many details as possible about the account in question.

You must provide:

  • certified copy of a current valid passport for identification purposes
  • certified copy of a Bank statement (with transactions on it) or utility bill (electricity, gas, water) dated within the last 6 months, as proof of current residential address. 

Please do not send us the original documents.

Dormant Account FAQs

If we can't find your account...

Your next step may be to head over to www.mylostaccount.org.uk.

This is a free service bringing together the three tracing schemes of UK Finance (UKF), the Building Societies Association (BSA) and National Savings and Investments (NS&I), to help you trace your lost accounts and savings.

Unclaimed Assets Scheme

We take part in the Unclaimed Assets Scheme established under the Dormant Bank and Building Society Accounts Act 2008.

  • This scheme allows money in dormant accounts (accounts that haven't been used for 15 years or more) to be distributed for the benefit of the community, while protecting the rights of customers to reclaim their money.
  • As part of the scheme, balances of dormant accounts can be transferred to Reclaim Fund Ltd (RFL). This is a not-for-profit reclaim fund, authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
  • If you have a dormant account, you rights related to the account and entitlement to the balance aren't affected. RFL doesn't hold customer information or records in relation to transferred dormant account balances. You should continue to get in touch with us at your branch if you have any questions or complaints in relation to your account.
  • Both we and the RFL participate in the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). The transfer to RFL of dormant account balances will not adversely affect any entitlement you have to compensation from the FSCS.

Contact us

If you need any support, get in touch with us on 0345 366 6594.

Relay UK: 18001 0345 366 6594

For overseas customers please call us on 00441634648143.

Alternatively, you can chat to Cora, our digital assistant. Cora might ask you a few questions to make sure you get the right answer, and may bring in a colleague to help if necessary.