Changing the names on a mortgage

Need to add or remove someone on your mortgage?

How do I change the names on my mortgage?

Changing the names on your mortgage is also called a 'Transfer of Title' and we're here to help you if you want to do any of the following:

  • Change your mortgage from a single name to joint names.
  • Change your mortgage from joint names to a single name.
  • Remove a joint name and add a new joint name to your mortgage.

Just to let you know, we only allow up to two people on a mortgage account and we'll charge an administration fee - see our change of parties administration fee on our Tariff of Charges.  You'll also need to instruct your own solicitor to complete the legal work.

Can I make other changes at the same time?

Yes, you can apply for a new rate, change your term, repayment type or borrow more money.  Early repayment charges may apply.


How do I apply for a Transfer of Title?

We'll need to make sure the mortgage will still be affordable for you based on any changes you're wanting to make. We can check this for you if you call us on 0800 056 0567 or Relay UK 18001 0800 056 0567.

  • You'll need to make sure you've got proof of your income and outgoings for all the parties that will be on your mortgage.

If you pass our affordability checks, we can book you in with a qualified mortgage advisor to complete your application and find the best mortgage for you.

Here's what you need to know before applying

  • You'll need agreement from anybody you're removing from or adding to your mortgage as they'll need to sign to confirm they're happy.
  • If you need to borrow more money to buy out another party on your mortgage, make sure you've agreed this amount before you apply.
  • If you've any other borrowing secured against your home, you'll need to speak to the lender to check they're happy for you to change the names on your mortgage.  This will also apply if your home was purchased using a help-to-buy/shared equity scheme.
  • If your application is part of a divorce settlement, it's probably best to wait until court proceedings have completed before you apply, to avoid your application from expiring.


Frequently asked questions