On this page
Looking for a new business bank account?
Switch offer: Free banking on everyday transactions for 2 years
To be eligible for 2 years of free banking on everyday transactions when you switch:
Your business's projected or existing annual turnover must be below £2m.
You'll need to make a full switch from an eligible business bank account to a Royal Bank of Scotland business bank account using the Current Account Switch Service (CASS).
You can't switch a NatWest or Ulster Bank business current account to Royal Bank of Scotland.
If you're not eligible for the free banking offer, you can still use the CASS to switch your account if your turnover is under £6.5m. Find out more about eligibility.
Learn more about how the Current Account Switch Service works
The Current Account Switch Service will do all the work for you, moving everything across from your old account to your new account, including Direct Debits and Standing Orders, all within 7 working days.
- Apply online for any of our business accounts.
- Tell us you’re switching during the application, and we'll send over the form you'll need to complete.
- Send back the completed form with your old bank account details, and tell us when you want the switch to start. The Current Account Switch Service will take care of the rest.
- Free banking on everyday transactions will apply from the date the switch is complete, so you might incur fees outlined in the Business account charges brochure (PDF, 85KB) after your account is open.
We won't switch any standing orders with a frequency over a year into the new account. Once your account's open, you'll be able to set up standing orders with a frequency of up to 1 year.
Free banking means the charges for the day to day running of your account (known as your service charge) won’t apply during the free banking period. At the end of this period, you’ll be automatically moved to the Standard Tariff. Charges for unarranged overdrafts, Bankline, international payments and any additional services are not part of the free banking offer. For details of our full charges and switcher offer eligibility criteria, please refer to the 'Info about charges' section of this page.
The 7-day switch guarantee
When we receive your switch form, the Current Account Switch Service will contact your old bank and confirm if the switch can go ahead. Once they confirm it can, your 7-day switch will start.
Your regular payments will be moved across. We'll reach out to confirm, and advise you how to set up your bill payments.
Choose the right account for your switch
The below products are available to eligible customers, over 18 who have the right to be self employed in the UK. Specific account and service eligibility criteria apply.
Start-up bank account
For new businesses with bold ideas
Our account for businesses trading less than a year with turnover of less than £1m.
Business bank account
For established businesses with big ambitions
Our account for businesses with turnover above £1m. Or, for businesses with turnover below £1m who have been trading for over a year.
For charities, clubs, and non-profits
Existing RBS personal or business banking customers are eligible for free banking if your community account's annual credit turnover is less than £100,000 and remains at this level.
Get tools to help you grow, all from one bank
The below tools and products are available to customers and non-customers.
Award-winning accounting software included*
FreeAgent is the Friendliest Software of the Year, Institute of Certified Bookkeepers Luca Awards 2022.
Free HR and health & safety support from MentorDigital
Manage your people anywhere, anytime, on any device with free tools from MentorDigital.**
Free programmes and tools for your growth
Our Entrepreneur hub offers a range of programmes and tools, plus you could tap into a network of specialists and peers who could offer help and guidance as you grow.
Business savings accounts that work harder for you
Our savings accounts could help you earn more interest and plan for your business's future.
Take contactless payments with just your phone
NatWest Tap to Pay from Tyl by NatWest (part of the same group) is an exciting way to take contactless payments from your customers with just your iPhone or Android smartphone. No need for card machines, as everything is app-based on the device you use everyday. Tap to Pay is Wi-Fi and network-ready too, making it seamless and super reliable. †
*FreeAgent is included for as long as you retain your Royal Bank of Scotland business bank account. Optional add-ons may be chargeable.
**MentorDigital is subject to app store availability and phone network access. Network provider charges may apply. Some Mentor services incur a cost.
†To be eligible for Tyl by NatWest your business must be based in the UK, and you must be over 18. No monthly hire or PCI fees for Tap to Pay. Transaction fees and lmits apply. Some contactless cards not accepted. Users may be charged for data usage by their network operator. Available on iPhone XS or later with iOS 16.4 or later and Android OS 10 or later (base OS 8.1+) with Google Services and NFC. Subject to Tyl eligibility criteria and terms and conditions.
What you need to open a Royal Bank of Scotland business account
Participating providers of UK business bank accounts have agreed to a basic set of information that they will need from you to set up your UK business current account. Find out what you’ll need to provide using the simple business banking checklist from UK Finance, the UK’s leading trade association for financial services.
Info about charges
At the end of your 2-year free banking period, you'll move on to our Standard Tarrif, with no minimum monthly charge.
More information about switching
Full switch versus partial switch
The service you'll need depends on whether you need to keep your old account open, your eligibility (based on business circumstances), the mandate authorisation with your old bank and whether your old bank is part of the Current Account Switch Service.
- A full Current Account Switch Service is done within 7 business days, backed by the Current Account Switch Guarantee (PDF, 60KB)
- If you're not eligible to use the Current Account Switch Service, Royal Bank of Scotland can provide a partial switch. A partial switch allows customers to select a date up to 90 days in the future and is not backed by the Current Account Switch Guarantee.
- You can find out more about each service from the FAQs below, or in our Switching Guide (PDF, 532kb).
Check Third Party Provider permissions
If you've given permissions to Third Party Providers (TPPs) - such as financial comparison websites, money management apps and payment services - to make payments on your behalf, or to access your financial data, access to these services won't be transferred automatically to your new account as part of the Current Account Switch Service.
- Before you close your old account, check whether you have any TPP permissions set up and if so, who with.
- Once your new account is open, you can give your permission to the TPP to access your new account by providing them with your new account details. You'll need to contact the TPP directly yourself to set this up.
- If you’re unsure as to whether we’ll support TPP permissions on your account, you’ll need to discuss this ahead of your switch with us and we’ll be able to advise you of this.
Please check our terms and conditions for more information about Third Party Providers.