Before you apply...
Before continuing with this application, please read the information below which explains how we and others will use information about you/ your business and the proprietors of that business (your information).
The organisation responsible for processing your personal information is Royal Bank of Scotland, a member of NatWest Group ("NatWest").
For full details about how we use the personal and financial information of our customers, or your rights, please see our full Privacy Notice.
We sometimes need to share your information to help us both.
Why do you share your information?
You share your information so we can:
- protect you
- check your identity
- make sure you have the right products for your needs
- prevent fraud and money laundering
- help us comply with laws, manage our risk and protect our business
Who do we share it with?
We share your information with:
- other companies in our group
- fraud prevention agencies, and we also record any identified or suspected fraud, which could mean we have to refuse to provide you with services
- our business partners, like the company that makes our debit and credit cards
- industry regulators, government departments and similar organisations, like HM Revenue and Customs This may include the name, address, tax number, account number(s), total gross amount of interest paid or credits to the account and the balance or value of the account(s) of our customers. HMRC might in turn have to share it with other countries’ tax authorities.
We also share your information with credit reference agencies, so we can:
- do a credit check – this can affect your credit score (we don’t do one if you’re just opening a savings account)
- do an identity check – this could be done on you and anyone else who’s linked to the account, but it doesn’t affect your credit score
- protect you and comply with laws – we must share information about how you manage your account, like payments made in, your balance, credit limits and any missed loan payments. They may also share this with other organisations.
Credit reference and fraud prevention agencies use your information because they have to prevent fraud and money laundering, to protect you, their business and to comply with laws.
When assessing this application, we may consider any financial connections you have with third parties (for example from any joint accounts or joint mortgage you hold/have held). If this is a joint application then a new financial connection may be created. Any financial connection will remain on your record until you request the third party’s information to be removed from your record by filing a “notice of disassociation” with the credit reference agencies.
What can happen?
We’ll make decisions based on the automated checks of data we hold and receive about you. You have rights in relation to these decisions, including a right to appeal if your application is declined. If it’s declined, we’ll usually keep your information for 5 years or longer if needed to comply with the law.
Confirming your agreement
By continuing with this application, you confirm that you understand that we may use your information in the ways described above and are happy to proceed.
You are also confirming that:
- you are holding authorisation from the other officers and beneficial owners to consent to the searches against them as individuals and use of the information indicated in this agreement; You have provided them a copy of our Privacy Notice;
- and you will promptly notify them of any changes we notify to you about the use of information provided in this form or obtained as a result of the credit searches;
- and you have notified the other officers and beneficial owners that if they would like a copy of the information we hold on them or have any questions about how we use that information they should write to the bank at the address shown in the Terms; and
- you have retained a copy of this form and have provided the other officers and beneficial owners with a copy of this form including the Terms under ‘Accessing your information’
As part of the application process we may ask you to verify your compliance with the process set out above.
RBS would like to keep you informed about products, services and offers that we believe may be of interest to you. If you would prefer not to receive this information by any or all of the methods outlined, please place a cross in the relevant boxes during your application (if you leave these boxes blank we will assume that you are happy to be contacted by these methods).
Communications about your account
Notwithstanding your marketing choices, we will contact you with information relevant to the operation and maintenance of your account by a variety of means including online banking, mobile banking, email, text message, post and/or telephone.