On this page
- To apply, you must be 17+ and have been living in the UK for at least 3 years. Online applications only.
- You need to be a fulltime undergraduate student (on at least a 2 year course at a UK University/College) or you need to be completing a full time postgraduate or nursing course lasting a year or more. You can apply within 6 months of your course start date.
- You must use your Student account as your main account by depositing your wages or other regular income into it.
- If you have received a student offer from Royal Bank at anytime from 1st July 2020 you will not be eligible. Royal Bank of Scotland have the right to withdraw this offer at anytime.
Why apply for our Student bank account?
A Student bank account is designed to make your life in higher education a little bit easier. There are many advantages to opening a Royal Bank Student account such as:
- Offer - free tastecard for 4 years (worth £29.99 per year)*.
- Interest-free overdraft - get an overdraft of up to £2,000 from year one (Limited to £500 in term one year one), with an instant online decision. Students can apply for up to £3,250 interest free from year three onwards.
- Can't find your bank card? Temporarily freeze it on the app while you look, and if you find it, instantly unfreeze your card.
- Withdraw up to £130 without your card every 24 hours at our ATMs (as long as it’s within your daily withdrawal limit, criteria applies).
- You can switch using the Current Account Switch Service.
- No monthly fee.
Student bank account offers
Tastecard is a discount card which offers you 2 for 1 on meals, 50% off food or 25% off food and drinks at thousands of restaurants or pizza takeaways UK wide.
We also have exclusive offers just for students.
Cinema ticket discounts
Discounted days out at the UK's best attractions
Exclusive membership perks
We’ll send your tastecard redemption code to your email address.
Offer T&Cs apply. This offer can be withdrawn at any time. Valid for 4 years. Smartphone required.
Hassle free banking with our mobile app
App available to customers aged 11+ with compatible iOS and Android devices and a UK or international mobile number in specific countries.
Are you an international student?
If you’ve lived in the UK for more than 3 years, you can apply for our Student account. If you’ve lived in the UK for less than 3 years you’re recognised by us as an international student and are not eligible for our Student account. See our current accounts hub for more options.
Switch to Royal Bank
The Current Account Switch Service will do all the work when it comes to switching, moving everything across from your old account all within 7 working days, including Direct Debits and standing orders. All you need to do is tell us the details of your old bank account and when you want the Switch to start.
We can not switch savings accounts or ISAs through this service. Any other products you have with your old bank will not be moved at the same time.
To apply for an overdraft, you need to be:
- aged 18+
You can add an overdraft to your account once your course has started.
Get ready to apply
Before you apply, we need to check you're happy with a few things. And ask you a few questions up front. Then we can make your application as quick and simple as it can be.
First things first. You can apply if you:
- are aged over 17 and have been living in the UK for at least 3 years
- are completing a full-time undergraduate course that lasts at least 2 years, completing a full-time post-graduate course, or are training as a nurse at a UK university or college of higher education
- are completing a course that has already started, or is starting within the next 6 months.
Now please take a look at the important legal info
If you carry on applying, it means you're happy with what's in these documents, including the FSCS information sheet. And happy to view your statements in Digital Banking - not posted. Please take some time to review, print and/or save the important information.